Stay in Comfort and Elegance
Introducing Villa Puaka, our newest offering at Mt Cook Lakeside Retreat, with views to rival any luxury accommodation in the world.
Villa Puaka is sited on the ridge above Lake Pukaki, not far from Ashley Mackenzie Villa and finished to the same elegant standard as its sister villa.
We have called this villa “Puaka,” the South Island variation of the Maori name “Puanga,” which is the seventh brightest star in the sky and seen above Tautoru (Orion’s Belt) in the eastern sky in early morning.
Villa Puaka is situated in a dramatic spot overlooking the spectacular blue waters of Lake Pukaki and the snowy peaks of Aoraki Mount Cook and the Southern Alps.
The villa contains two large bedrooms designed in the style of a European farmhouse, with thick 600mm walls, high wood ceilings, Italian sandstone flooring, leadlight windows and double glazing. The bedrooms are located at opposite ends of the villa and linked with a central drawing room. The villa can sleep up to 4 people.
The bedrooms are decorated in soft Tuscan white with neutral velvet and linens and good quality bedding. Restful and light-filled, the bedrooms are romantically elegant. Leadlight double-glazed french doors and windows frame the magnificent views from these rooms.
The french doors open out onto the patio and lawn and one of New Zealand’s most iconic and panoramic views over the turquoise blue waters of Lake Pukaki to Aoraki Mount Cook himself. The super king beds can be reconfigured into two king single beds for twin share.
Each bedroom has its own ensuite bathroom designed in Edwardian style with tiled walls and floors. To add to the sense of elegance, the bathrooms are fitted out with exclusive Perrin and Rowe tapware produced by English craftsmen with a passion for authentic design, quality and durability. Enjoy a relaxing shower under rain and handheld showersheads with views toward Lake Pukaki and Aoraki Mount Cook.
A beautiful open plan drawing room connects the two bedrooms. Featuring a high ceiling, an open fireplace, polished wood dining table, deep comfortable leather furnishings and antique furniture, with original images by New Zealand artists decorating the walls. The french doors at one end of the drawing room open out to the patio, with an outdoor seating and dining area featuring uninterrupted views of Lake Pukaki and Aoraki / Mount Cook.
- Luxury accommodation in an elegant 165-square-meter private villa
- Lake view over Lake Pukaki to Aoraki Mount Cook
- The villa contains two bedrooms, each with its own large ensuite bathroom
- Bathroom amenities including hairdryer, spa/bath robe and slippers
- A large central drawing room with an open fireplace connects the two bedrooms
- The villa features an outdoor hot tub, perfect for soaking under the beautiful stars of the Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve
- The villa is elegantly finished with natural wood timbers and soft Italian sandstone flooring, and decorated with luxurious furnishings
- The villa is warmed by an open fireplace and central heating
- Guests enjoy free access to the Retreat’s private forest walkways and tennis court
- Onsite astronomical observatory and wine cellar experience
- Onsite cooking demonstrations by arrangement
- Onsite wellness and massage treatments available by arrangement and subject to availability
- Laundry service
- Local tours and packages by arrangement
- Luxury accommodation
- Complimentary bottle of New Zealand wine on arrival, selected from our curated wine cellar
- Fresh seasonal fruit platter, replenished daily
- Gourmet breakfast provisions, replenished daily
- Three-course meal each day including nibbles platter, prepared by our private chef
- Free wireless internet access
- Free use of the estate’s tennis court, petanque, croquet, and curling rink (in winter)
- Bathroom amenities
- Bicycles for use on cycle trails (by arrangement)
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Free onsite parking
- Daily servicing of your villa
- Minimum 2 night booking
A piece of paradise. Absolutely worth a visit. This place has stunning views, luxury accommodation, top service and a private chef. You can spend time relaxing in a hot tub (which is absolutely amazing) under the stars along with peace and quiet. The lake is right in front of you as you look over the grassy lawn high up on a cliff, with Mount Cook in the background. There are plenty of things to do around this geologically rich area: bike trails, hikes, sightseeing, scenic flights and much more. The hosts were incredibly interesting, friendly and accommodating. We will be back for sure.