Stay in Comfort and Elegance
Our two Moraine Villas, named Villa Matariki and Villa Tautoru, have mountain views over the magnificent Ben Ohau ranges and the tawny landscape of the Mackenzie Country. Located side-by-side, the villas have identical floor plans and offer privacy and luxurious comfort for your stay at the Retreat. View floor plan. →
Both Villa Matariki and Villa Tautoru can be booked for use of one or two bedrooms, depending on the size of your party.
Each villa contains two large bedrooms designed in the style of a European farmhouse, with thick 600mm walls, high wood ceilings, Italian sandstone flooring, leadlight windows and double glazing. The bedrooms are located at opposite ends of the villa and linked with a central drawing room. Depending on the size of your party, the villas can be booked for use of one bedroom or two bedrooms.
The bedrooms are decorated in soft Tuscan white with neutral velvet and linens and good quality bedding. Restful and light-filled, the bedrooms are romantically elegant. Leadlight double-glazed french doors and windows frame the magnificent views from these rooms.
The french doors open out onto the patio and lawn and one of New Zealand’s most iconic and panoramic views over the Ben Ohau mountain ranges and tawny Mackenzie Country landscape. The super king beds can be reconfigured into two king single beds for twin share.
Each bedroom has its own ensuite bathroom designed in Edwardian style with tiled walls and floors. To add to the sense of elegance, the bathrooms are fitted out with exclusive Perrin and Rowe tapware produced by English craftsmen with a passion for authentic design, quality and durability. Enjoy a relaxing shower under rain and handheld showersheads with views toward the Ben Ohau ranges.
The Drawing Room
The Drawing Room
A beautiful open plan drawing room connects the two bedrooms. Featuring a high ceiling, an open fireplace, polished wood dining table, deep comfortable leather furnishings and antique furniture, with original images by New Zealand artists decorating the walls. The french doors at one end of the drawing room open out to the patio, and deep angled windows light the room.
The two Moraine Villas, Matariki and Tautoru, have mountain views towards the magnificent Ben Ohau ranges and the tawny landscape of the Mackenzie Country.
The view from the first bedroom.
The first bedroom in a king bed configuration.
The view from the second bedroom.
Both bedrooms feature identical layouts with beds that can be configured as one super king or two king single beds for twin share.
Each bedroom connects to a large ensuite bathroom, with beautiful views from the glassed-in shower.
The drawing room is a large living space that separates the two bedrooms, and includes a cosy open fireplace.
The drawing room includes a dining table, perfect for enjoying gourmet meals delivered to your villa by our private chef.
The outdoor patio area, with spectacular views over the Mackenzie Country and Ben Ohau mountains.
The drawing room opens onto an outdoor patio complete with a hot tub, perfect for relaxing and enoying the beautiful views.
Each villa’s beautifully-situated outdoor hot tub provides a perfect place for peaceful relaxation.
- Luxury accommodation in an elegant 165-square-meter private villa
- Mountain views over the Ben Ohau ranges and Mackenzie Country
- The villa contains two bedrooms, each with its own large ensuite bathroom
- Bathroom amenities including hairdryer, spa/bath robe and slippers
- A large central drawing room with an open fireplace connects the two bedrooms
- Each villa features an outdoor hot tub, perfect for soaking under the beautiful stars of the Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve
- The villa is elegantly finished with natural wood timbers and soft Italian sandstone flooring, and decorated with luxurious furnishings
- The villa is warmed by an open fireplace and central heating
- Guests enjoy free access to the Retreat’s private forest walkways and tennis court
- Onsite astronomical observatory and wine cellar experience
- Onsite wellness and massage treatments available by arrangement and subject to availability
- Private chef service
- Laundry service
- Local tours and packages by arrangement
- Luxury accommodation
- Complimentary bottle of New Zealand wine on arrival, selected from our curated wine cellar
- Fresh seasonal fruit platter, replenished daily
- Gourmet breakfast provisions, replenished daily
- Three-course meal each day including nibbles platter, prepared by our private chef and brought to your villa for private dining
- Free wireless internet access
- Free use of the estate’s tennis court, petanque, croquet, and curling rink (in winter)
- Bathroom amenities
- Bicycles for use on cycle trails (by arrangement)
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Free onsite parking
- Daily servicing of your villa
Having traveled the North and South Islands, staying at several accommodations, none compared to our stay at Mt Cook Lakeside Retreat! The cottage was elegant in every way! The cuisine superb! The view…breathtaking! The experience…PERFECT! I couldn’t consider a better place for a wedding than on the lawn with that turquoise lake and Mt Cook in the background. Thank you for the personal tour of the southern sky in your observatory/wine cellar! WOW!!! Thank you for making our wedding so amazing.